Monday, October 26, 2009

Pack List and Current Sentiments

Summing up my travel gear to only 40 lbs. (18 kilos) has been a little bit of a challenge, and even at that weight I feel it's still a little heavier than where I'd like to be, at around 30 lbs. (13 kilos).  Many of my pack items are perishable (toiletries, repellant, etc.), so the weight will drop down as I go and back up as I buy goods for my return home.

By this time tomorrow I will be on a flight down to BsAs (Buenos Aires), so hopefully a.) my planes are safe and I don't end up in the ocean, and b.) the airline companies don't manage to lose my main pack, which I have to check in. Otherwise, I'm excited, a little anxious, and hungry for some Argentine food!

PACK LIST FOR ARGENTINA [prepared 26 Oct. 2009]

  • Large hiking backpack w/ external frame
  • Smaller day pack
  • Packable duffel bag (for getting hiking backpack thru security)
  • 2 pairs jeans
  • 1 pair nylon hiking pants (found in my wardrobe by chance)
  • 1 pair shorts
  • 1 pair swim trunks
  • 2 collared long-sleeve cotton shirts (black; brown w/ruffles)
  • 2 collared short-sleeve cotton shirts (off-white; brown patterned)
  • 2 cotton "band" shirts (The Dread Crew of Oddwood; The Lord Weird Slough Feg)
  • 1 lined nylon windbreaker
  • 1 pleather jacket
  • 1 XL rain poncho (to cover backpack too)
  • 1 Australian leather bush hat (for hunting velociraptors)
  • 1 pair merino wool socks
  • 2 pairs cotton athletic socks
  • 3 pairs cotton-polyester socks
  • 4 handkerchiefs / bandannas
  • 1 leather belt
  • security pouch
  • aviators and polarized brown-tint sunglasses
  • 1 pair eyeglasses
  • 3 pairs contacts
  • hiking boots
  • athletic shoes
  • flip-flops
  • shower sandals
  • notebook
  • planner
  • digital camera
  • mp3 player
  • watch
  • compass
  • Nalgene 1L bottle
  • basic hiking first aid kit, with additions: Neosporin, lighter, 2-sided signal mirror, magnesium fire starter,  asthma medicine, extra ibuprofen
  • safety blanket
  • fleece blanket
  • asthma inhaler
  • malaria medication (chloroquine)
  • typhoid fever antibiotics (ciprofoxacn)
  • permethrin insect repellant
  • 100% DEET insect repellant
  • 85 SPF sunblock (who knew it was ever that high?)
  • 10 Magnums
  • inflatable travel pillow
  • down sleeping bag
  • contact cases, nail clippers/file/tweezers, shaver, earplugs, dental floss, 1 bar soap
  • deodorant 
  • Swiss Army knife
  • personal business cards
  • Oddwood business cards
  • passport
  • immunization card for Yellow Fever
  • ISIC card
  • Driver's license
  • AAA card
  • pens
  • duct tape
  • 2 Argentina guidebooks
  • 2 Spanish pocketbooks
  • bungee cord (to hook backpack onto a chair at the restaurant to prevent theft)
  • combo lock
  • spare AA batteries
  • spare Ziploc bags
  • camera/mp3 USB cables
My pre-trip supplies. Photo © 2009 Drew Castle Peters


All of that in only 40 Imperial Pounds! Don't forget, I will be wearing about 5 pounds of clothing at all times, in addition to the load. And if I drink and eat as much as will be expected, I'll come back weighing far more than my current 160 lbs. (72 kilos). Argh!

As I said, I'm limiting myself in the way of electronics. And about....80% of everything I am bringing is disposable plastic. That is America's big "FUCK YOU" to planet Earth. I wish we limited plastic production, but hey, what can we do? Another time for that discussion. BsAs, here I come!


1 comment: