Thursday, November 12, 2009

Not North, Not Northwest, But West ?¿?









SO I figured out how to upload photos correctly now. And I can also start using underlines, bold writing, and italicized writing to make the read just that much more interesting.

     After the trip concludes, I will be spending at least a week sorting through photos, fixing colors, watermarking them and finally uploading them onto here as one giant ''photo highlights'' album, as well as onto Facebook and onto physical photo paper (I know - weird in the Digital Age, right ¿?¿?¿?)

  ...And since I have the power to do anything on this blog, I might as well update you fellow cool people reading this and let you know of my actual (yet currently still only on paper) new itinerary for the remaining twenty-some days in Argentina. And boy, does this look great on paper! I didn't head to Ramallo or North to the Litoral afterall, and I didn't leave San Antonio de Areco until Tuesday night. I stayed through Monday to figure out where I wanted to go as long as the trip is solely my own. I had been hearing suggestions from folks, taking their opinions and pondering a whirlpool of swirling ideas and sights and things to buy and do and try, until my head became a mess.

    
    After lounging around S.A. de Areco all day Monday, and teaching my house host Rodrigo some English and vice-versa Castellano, I started to become a little....jaded, I think, since I didn't have any future travel plans booked yet. I ate a delicious few meals at Rodrigo's, all made by him, including a couple red pepper/onion/buttercheese/harboiled egg pizzas, carne w/ scrambled eggs and a vegetable coleslaw and WAY too much salt, and a simple beef and bread sandwhich. I guess he cooks all of his meals at home and never eats out.
     Back to my misfortune of not knowing where to next, come Monday night, I headed to the bus station, got prices and times for various destinations and finally came to the conclusion of a Tuesday overnight trip to Còrdoba, the capital of Còrdoba Province, 8 hours and 700-some km (400 mi.) NW of S.A. de Areco. With my trip secured, I spent Tuesday wandering the streets of Areco, renting a horse for a few hours of exploration in the green expanse of Las Pampas.

     I also came to the realization that there are a TON of stray dogs in S.A. de Areco, and I guess that goes for Argentina and probably other South American countries as well. Upon trying to locate a house that gave horse rentals, walking the dusty dirt roads near a park, I was almost attacked by several strays, but at various times. Luckily, I didn't have to administer my boot to the dogs' skulls, but I would have killed if necessary, since I don't have any preventitive rabies vaccine handy, and the set in would be quick and probably excruciating. That said, there are NICE strays as well, coming up to you in a very friendly manner only to be pet or loved, and for your food. When I was walking through the park next to the brown dammed river, I saw a couple approaching me, surrounded by 4 dogs on all sides. I thought they were paseaperros (professional dog walkers that are everywhere in Buenos Aires, humorously walking dozens of dogs at a time), but I soon realized the dogs weren't leashed. They spoke English, and asked how to get rid of the dogs, saying it was creepy having them around. I basically laughed really hard on the inside, because it is VERY creepy to have a bunch of stray dogs following you everywhere. I commenced a laugh out loud and basically told them ''good luck'', as they set off with the cloud of dogs around them.

     Well, here I am now. Còrdoba, day two, and I am finally heading out of the hostel to explore the city today, since I spent all day yesterday setting up ideas as to where to go next. Oh! And I learned how to make empanadas, which is extremely easy. One of the meat fillings was actually a little spicy, which is amazingly spicy for Argentines, and a nice break from the spice-lacking foods usually found here. I can't wait for some super-spicy Mexican food upon my return to the states. And they don't use condiments here. The pepper is much less peppery and more weird tasting, the vinegar is white cider vinegar (gross), etc.
    
     Since I keep getting sidetracked with stories, I will sum up my still on-paper plans. Boy do they look good on paper! After Saturday I'd like to go West to San Juan, which from there I can visit surrounding tiny towns chock full of exploration, since it's right next to the highest section of the Andes Mtn. range. First town stop is Rodeo, to windsurf in 120 km/hr winds across a huge dike/reservoir, for probably a couple days. From there, south to the town of Barreal, where sailing by land awaits me on a vast expanse of dry lake bed, surrounded by incredible nature. From here, I might take a side day trip to a nearby town to go whitewater rafting, and will head back to San Juan for further Southward travel, to Mendoza. I'll probably post up here for only a day or two, since I'd like to head South to the town of Malargüe, from which I can take a couple days on horseback in Parque Provincial Payunia, which contains the highest concentration of volcanic cones in the world! From here, I'd like to head to San Rafael, so I can possibly catch a bus all the way up to the Northeast for Corrientes, to buy some cabybara leather products inexpensively. From here, down South to Rosario, eventually ending up again in Bs.As. If I can squeeze it in, I 'd like to try and stay with a family out in Ramallo, since I was invited. This will be a lot of travelling and moving, but I'd like to see a few different sides to Argentina, if only briefly, so my next return will hold plenty more to explore.

All for now, more for later, so now out to explore Còrdoba. Salud y suerte.

2 comments:

  1. That pizza sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll have to make me some empanadas when you get bk :D -erin

    ReplyDelete