Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Packing Light for a Central American adventure

I've just completed packing, and I leave my house in literally 1.5 hours—at 3:30 am. Despite my doubts, I successfully packed my military backpack with all the stuff I'll need for 5 weeks, without cutting out too many items. My goal was to pack light, within 22 lbs., and I believe it's around that weight. Here's my "light" load for 5 weeks in Central America:

Clothes (all of which, minus the wifebeaters, I treated with permethrin to repel mosquitos and harmful insects)

  • 2 wifebeaters
  • 1 black t-shirt
  • 1 black, collared shirt
  • 1 white, collared, short sleeve button-down
  • 1 gray/plaid button down long sleeve
  • 1 long-sleeve "jungle" shirt (special wicking/structural properties)
  • 1 pair of "jungle" pants (military-grade khakis)
  • 1 pair of black trousers
  • 1 pair of jeans
  • 6 pairs cotton/blend socks
  • 1 pair thick, long wool socks (for jungle excursions, extra leg protection in case of snake attack or misc. arthropods getting curious)
  • 4 pairs briefs
  • 1 pair hiking boots
  • 1 pair leather tennis shoes
  • 1 pair rubber sandals (for the showers and beaches)
  • 1 pair swim trunks
  • 1 pair Speedos (for any jungle/river/Central America swimming, I'm being extra careful)
Electronic Supplies
  • camera cable for uploading
  • 2 USB flash drives (4 & 8 gigs)
  • 16 AA batteries (my camera eats them like sushi)
  • 3 AAA batteries (backing up my head lamp)
  • Climbing headlamp
Books / Stationary
  • Lonely Planet: Nicaragua
  • D!rty Spanish (to practice some common phrases in Spanish)
  • Leather-bound journal
  • Planner
  • Misc paperwork
  • 5 or 6 pens
Toiletries / Vision
  • Electric shaver
  • Contact solution
  • 3 pairs of contacts
  • Eyeglasses
  • Sunglasses
  • 1 pair swim goggles 
  • Nail clippers, file
  • Double-sided emergency mirror
  • Car bubble mirror (for those hard-to-see places)
  • Mini pack towel (1 oz.)
  • Protection
  • Asthma inhaler
  • Insect repellant (100% DEET)
Miscellaneous
  • 6 Ziploc quart-sized bags
  • 1 black large garbage bag
  • plastic bag
  • Calculator
  • ball of string
  • scissors
  • First Aid kit, including magnesium fire starter, antacid, wilderness aid book
  • Permethrin-treated mosquito net with 324 holes/in.
  • compact down sleeping bag (2.2 lbs.)
  • inflatable travel pillow (6.5 oz.)
  • A few other things...it's late
That pretty much sums up what I need for my travel. I'll try and write soon after touching down in Managua, but no guarantees as to a.) my travel plans b.) my accommodation for the first night c.) my access to the Interwebs whilst travelling. Here's a picture.


That's all for now, assuredly more for later. Until then, this is Drew Peters. 

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget these items!--could mean the difference between life and death and should still keep you within your weight limit:
    Bug detector
    Periscope
    Garrote wristwatch or alternately a Rolex (equipped with a small laser beam cutting tool)
    Homing Pill
    Remote Control
    Mini-rocket Cigarette (capable of shooting a jet-powered projectile accurately up to 30 yards)
    Pen gun (fountain pen emblazoned with the Union Jack that can fire an explosive charge)
    Trick Backgammon Dice
    Self Destruct Button
    Credit Card
    Flaming Shiskabob

    ReplyDelete